Jatropha oil is also a kind of vegetable oil that is produced from the seeds of Jatropha that can grow in marginal and common lands.
Below are some of the benefits of Jatropha oil.
- It is used as an alternative for diesel as a renewable source.
- Have the properties that are similar to diesel fuel.
- It is an oxygenated fuel and is also eco-friendly.
- It contains less sulfur.
- It can be used in the diesel engine with little modification in the engines.
- The emission of exhaust gas is reduced.
Use as Biodiesel:
To meet the decreasing foreign exchange reserves, it is essential to find a renewable resource that is better for this problem. So to meet the growing demand, non-edible seeds from the Jatropha plant has a potential effect. The oil that is extracted from the Jatropha plant is used as a substitute for diesel in many parts of the world. The biodiesel that is prepared from the Jatropha oil is more economical than any other diesel.
Transesterification is the process that is used to produce biodiesel from Jatropha oil. In this process, triglycerides are converted into methyl esters. And the oil is mixed with alcohol and catalyst and kept at reaction temperature for a specific duration of time under agitation. Then it is send to the settling tank. At last the ester is collected and washed to get pure biodiesel.
It is also used as
- Jet fuel
- Light hydrocarbon fuel
- Myanmar biodiesel