Replacing petroleum, biodiesel has many advantages and limitations. Biodiesel has many significant benefits over it.
Here is the list of environmental benefits of biodiesel:
- Biodiesel is a carbon-neutral one. It means that it does not emit any carbon gases in the form of carbon dioxide.
- Biodiesel production is highly a biodegradable process.
- It is non-toxic.
- Biodiesel has a higher flash point than any other diesel.
- Biodiesel is a renewable form of energy source.
- It is also economical.
- It is less polluting than petroleum products since it produces less particulate matters like carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and unburned hydrocarbon.
- The life of catalytic converters increases if the biodiesel 100% free from sulfur is used.
- Biodiesel can be used in combination with others like heating oil etc.
- Biodiesel can be used in the existing oil heating system and diesel engines with little or no modification.
- It gives the same energy level per gallon like the petroleum diesel.
- The lifetime of the engines is extended due to the lubricating effect of biodiesel.
Though biodiesel has a lot of advantages over the existing one, there are also some disadvantages concerning it.