Replacing the existing petroleum diesel has many advantages and limitations. Biodiesel has many significant advantages over it.
Here is the list of environmental benefits of biodiesel:
- Biodiesel is a carbon neutral one. It means that it does not emit any carbon gases in the form of carbon dioxide.
- This is highly a biodegradable process.
- It is non-toxic.
- Biodiesel have a higher flash point than any other diesel.
- Biodiesel is a renewable form of energy source.
- It is also economical.
- It is less polluting than petroleum products since it produce less particulate matters like carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and unburned hydro carbon.
- The life of catalytic converters is increased if the biodiesel that is 100% free from sulphur is used.
- Biodiesel can be used in combination with others like heating oil etc.
- Biodiesel can be used in the existing oil heating system and diesel engines with little or no modification.
- It gives the same energy level for per gallon like the petroleum diesel.
- The lifetime of the engines are extended due to the lubricating effect of biodiesel.
- Though biodiesel has lot of advantages over the existing one there is also some disadvantages concerning it.