There are undoubtedly many plants that are suitable for the production of biofuels. This leads to the question, why to choose Jatropha from a cultivator’s perspective.
Researchers say that the answer to this question is very simple. They say that cultivating and processing jatropha has many advantages than any other plant.
The following factors made jatropha an advantages one:
- It is easy to cultivate jatropha. Jatropha can grow on all the climatic conditions and soils hence it is cultivated in most of the places.
- It is less expensive to cultivate jatropha and most of the jatropha seed varieties are available of less cost.
- The percentage of yield is high and the extraction of oil is also maximum.
- Jatropha provides higher rate of output than any other crops.
- It is very easy to maintain the jatropha plant even at the seedling stage
Jatropha stands as an ideal crop among the bio-diesel crops because of the following reason:
- Drought resistant
- Jatropha plant has the ability to grow well on poor and infertility soil, in marginal areas and can withstand any type of climate
- Needs only little amount water and maintenance
- The plant can be harvested for about 50 years
Following are the advantages of the jatropha plant:
- Low cost seeds
- High oil content
- Small development period
- Grow on good and despoiled soil
- Grow in low and high rainfall areas
- Does not require any special maintenance
- Can be harvested in non-rainy season
- Size of the plant makes the collection of seeds convenient
- Multi products are developed using a single jatropha plant. The products include bio-diesel, soap, mosquito repellent, and organic fertilizer.